Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Too much at SXSW

SXSW Notes: The Band Glut And Diminishing Returns: "Bands at SXSW scream 'Look at me! Look at me!' at attendees spending days in Austin being completely saturated by marketing stimuli (beers, clothing companies, record labels, etc). How can a band get attention? It's difficult to be remembered given the quantity of bands, the social aspect of the events and the availability of free alcohol.

... While SXSW itself benefits from the quantity of bands, attendees and bands can easily miss making an important connection....

For me, SXSW was more of a social event than a music event. I got to catch up with a lot of friends -- it seemed like half of New York City was in Austin. Not surprisingly, I can't really remember much about the bands I saw."


No comments: