Sunday, March 04, 2007

Arts and religion

In my blog I have highlighted a number of churches that are also serving as music venues. It's not that I am a spokesperson for the religious right. Rather, what I see is that churches are moving into a void left by a lack of "third places" which bring people together around music.

Bars are not appropriate places for many people to enjoy music. The alternative (coffeehouses and all-ages clubs) can't always make it if they have to bring in a certain amount of income.

But churches, which exist to serve people on Sunday, but sit empty much of the rest of the week, offer available venues.

This particular article talks about the need to foster both creativity and Jesus. What caught my eye was the quote below.

I have written extensively about people in the information society, and I have seen many engineers laid off as jobs are outsourced overseas. So I have questioned the wisdom of encouraging students to specialize in science, math, and engineering careers when those offer no more lifetime job security than less "practical" endeavors.

The quote below is the first I have seen to suggest that the information age is already over.

Refractions: Being a Child of the Creative Age: "The Information Age is behind us, and yet we, in America, are educating our children to thrive in that past. The skills and knowledge for Information Age are now outsourced, but we are ill equipped to lead in the age of imagination, the age of synthesis."




No comments: