Sunday, February 11, 2007

Memphis music inspires movies

An interesting article about how Memphis music has become the inspiration for a movie director and a composer.

Back to Memphis, This Time Making the City Moan - New York Times, 2/11/07: "'It’s like there’s music in the air in Memphis. You can just grab it. It’s ancient, and it’s just a part of the dirt, [said composer Scott Bomar].

.... 'I’m trying to do a music series for my state,' [director Craig Brewer] said. 'It sort of starts from the music and begins to inspire me with images and stories. I really wanted "Hustle & Flow" to be the rap movie. I tried to write a story that would use it as a soundtrack and capture what I felt was the essence of hip-hop in Memphis. Now I’m doing blues. My next one is outlaw country.'”

No comments: