Thursday, October 05, 2006

The history of jazz places

An interesting piece on the importance of "place" for music, which is pretty much the theme of my blog.

Jazz Places: "Every art work has to be someplace. Physical works, like paintings and sculptures, have to be someplace: a museum, a gallary, a home, a public square. Music and dance and theater have to be performed someplace; a court, a theater or concert hall, a private home, a public square or street. Books and similar materials take up space too--in bookstores and distributors' warehouses and people's homes. What places are available to exhibit or perform or keep and enjoy works in? Who is in charge of them and responsible for them? How does this organization of place constrain the work done there? What opportunities does it make available? I'll restrict myself to the case of 20th century jazz, for the most part in the United States, for the somewhat unrespectable reason that this is a subject I know well. And I will rely on my own memory as well as on what scholarship is available."

No comments: