Thursday, April 26, 2007

Classical music in non-traditional venues

The pioneer cellist - baltimoresun.com: "The first time Matt Haimovitz took the stage at the late and lamented New York club CBGB, where the Talking Heads and the Ramones got their first big boosts, he didn't feel entirely welcome.

'I was sandwiched between four or five punk bands, and I could feel a little resistance,' the Israeli-born, Montreal-based Haimovitz says of that night in 2002. 'I think the audience came to see if I would survive.'

Advertisement
The unease wasn't surprising -- CBGB hadn't ever presented a classical cellist.

'I played one Bach suite,' Haimovitz says, 'and I could tell the bands were like, 'OK, kid, get lost,' But I wanted to stay as long as I could. I played another Bach suite, and then another.'

Haimovitz kept on going, even throwing in the world premiere of a piece written for him, before launching into his grand finale, his own arrangement of the legendary Jimi Hendrix version of the national anthem. The cellist won the day.

It has been like that most of the time since Haimovitz, 36, decided to branch out from the more traditional environs of classical music about seven years ago. ...

'...300 people were crammed in a room while there was a battle of the bands, heavy metal version, on the floor below. It was louder than anything I ever heard, but the people just focused in on my cello. It really showed the power of this music to withstand anything.'"

No comments: