Thursday, November 02, 2006

Why music festivals are popular

Each year I monitor press coverage of SXSW and CMJ. Right now, with CMJ, I'm reading even more blogs.

And I've come to realize SXSW and CMJ are growing in popularity because they give endless numbers of bloggers reasons to write about themselves.

Lots of blogs with: "I went hear to this band." "I went to hear that band." "Here's a picture of me at this party." Etc.

Some long-time concert-goers have started to note that at some of today's concerts, fans seem to be more interested in calling or text-messaging their friends to tell them about the concert, and sending them photos of the concert, than to actually listen to the music.

The future of live music may be in giving fans more and more opportunities to turn themselves into stars. Give them ways to participate in the concert and generate their own publicity and they will come.

How about putting fans on the big screens rather than the band? Or at least one big screen devoted to the audience? There are already experiments in allowing interactive posting at concerts.

Perhaps a music festival should call itself, "F*ck the music. It's all about ME!!"




No comments: