Thursday, September 07, 2006

Branding Santa Monica

The town of Santa Monica wants to brand itself. The site provides a very good look at how to develop a destination branding campaign.

The campaign doesn't mention music as part of the strategy, but music immediately comes to mind for me. The first thing I think of when I say Santa Monica to myself is Sheryl Crow's song, "All I Wanna Do"

All I wanna do is have some fun
I got a feeling I'm not the only one
All I wanna do is have some fun
I got a feeling I'm not the only one
All I wanna do is have some fun
Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard

The second thing that comes to mind is the Hotel California. I stayed there a few years ago on a trip to LA with a musician friend who playing a number of gigs in the area. While it's the Beverly Hills Hotel that the Eagles featured on their album cover, Santa Monica's Hotel California has been there for more than 50 years. It's a charming funky hotel right on the beach

So in my mind, Santa Monica already has an image, and it is music-related.

No comments: